In tourism industry, we have to go down to the basics. In receiving tourists from outside, even a kind gesture may mean a lot to them. Sibuians are traditionally hospitable. Let us turn this fine tradition into a blue ocean strategy to win the hearts of tourists. Together we practise courtesy to make Sibu a very heartwarming place for holiday! Changyi has good points in her comments in this respect.
Tan Kee Hian observed the following to be the building blocks for mass tourism in his talk:
1. There has got to be an integrated tourism development master plan:
-Joint government-private sector initiative.
2. Effective marketing and promotion of tourist attractions of Greater Sibu.
3. Development of affordable, reliable, mid-tier facilities:
-Hospitality, leisure, convention and transport.
4. Ever-green programmes and attractions.
5. Education, training and development focused on mass tourism.
The picture shows the packed ballroom at Kingwood Hotel where the forum was held. The turnout was close to 500 which was an encouragement. Photo: Terrence Tan of MPI