The first Blue Ocean Strategy that Tan Kee Hian raised to spur Sibuians on deeper thinking for the sake of Sibu is Centre of Excellence for Gerontology.
1. In reality, ageing population is a global phenomenon.
2. But the situation in Sibu is more acute than in the rest of Malaysia, as a result of the "Sibu Diaspora" (meaning the movement of Sibuians away from their hometown).
3. This Centre shall not be dependent on proximity to natural resources and foreign markets.
4. Gerontology has very little attention in Malaysia yet, unlike Singapore.
5. This Centre forms Path 6 in the framrwork consisting of time and trends for creating uncontested market space.
6. Sibu as a Centre of Excellence for Gerontology is really an uncontested market space. It is, therefore, a Blue Ocean Approach.
The picture shows Councilor Robert Lau Hui Yew (left) and Hii Chang Kee, SMC Secretary. Photo: Liong