Singapore achieved a huge Blue Ocean success from 60's to 80's. The island-state walked a few steps ahead of the neighbouring nations, taking the country to greater prosperity.
Sibu is trapped in Red Ocean box. To get out of it, we need a mentality change and a lot of hard thinking:
1. Be innovative in thinking
3.How to do differently?
4. What are the boundaries of the Red Ocean box?
Tan Kee Hian identified 6 paths that define the boundaries of Red Ocean box. The 6 paths also form a framework for creating Uncontested Market Space:
1. Alternative industries
2. Strategic groups within industries
3. The chain of buyers
4. Complementary products & service offerings
5. Emotional appeal to buyers
6. Time and trends
Having regarded Sibu as in Red Ocean presently, Tan Kee Hian noted the following strategies of Sibu:
1. "Vanilla" university colleges
2. Niche eco-tourism
3. Little Foochow
4. Industrial parks
5. Traditional farming and plantations
6. Timber and primary industries
7. Shopping centres